The purpose of this article is to share vital information that has the potential of revolutionizing our lives if we truly grasp the importance of it. The core value of all those who seek to bring about transformation in their lives should be knowledge. There is a biblical principle that states, “People perish for a lack of knowledge.” This implies that the reason we fail in any area of life is due to a lack of knowledge in that area. It is important to understand the following:
- Our # 1 enemy is ignorance
- Our # 1 obstacle is our conditioning
The fact the ignorance is the enemy speaks for itself. Understand that ignorance has nothing to do with intelligence, but with whether or not you have the correct knowledge you require to deal wisely with any matter. Ignorance not only implies lack of knowledge, but also incorrect knowledge. The question is whether your knowledge is empowering or dis-empowering you. The fact that conditioning is an obstacle may not be that obvious. Someone once said that “we don’t see the world as it is, but as we are”. This simply means that we interpret and perceive the situations, circumstances and events in our lives according to what we have been conditioned to believe from childhood, with information that few of us ever questioned or challenged. In this article we are going to examine truth that will hopefully challenge some of our dis-empowering conditioning.
In a previous article on the topic of universal laws and principles, we looked at the fact that every aspect of life, whether objective or subjective, is governed by immutable laws that we either obey or violate. If we obey these laws and learn how to implement them correctly, we reap the benefits and blessings that are inherent to these laws. Through correct implementation, we activate the inherent principles that create what we experience in our lives. This applies in reverse when we violate a universal law. When we do, we suffer the consequences which are inherent to violating these laws, this time in the form of suffering and pain, which we may perceive as punishment.
It is imperative to understand that as long as we try to change the circumstances, situations and events that are causing us pain in our lives, we are merely dealing with effects or symptoms. This is tantamount to trying to cure a brain tumour by taking medication for the ensuing headaches. When we learn to deal with the cause by questioning what the origin of our apparent suffering is, we are then more open to learn the lessons of how and where we are violating universal laws and make the necessary changes. This can be achieved by learning about these laws that determine our experience of life.
The Law of Cause and Effect is the most fundamental of the universal laws as it collaborates with all the other laws in creating our reality. This law explains that when we correctly implement universal laws, we create positive causes leading to positive effects, thereby playing a role in determining our own reality. Understand that everything we think, say or do are causes that will create effects to a greater or lesser extent. Once we learn to understand the Law of Cause and Effect, we begin to understand that life is not nearly as unfair as what many of us have been conditioned to believe, and that what we experience in our reality is not just part of a random set of events, but the inevitable outcome of very specific causes.
In the rest of this article we are going to examine what is probably the most important law after the Law of Cause and Effect, namely the Law of the Mind. Most of you have heard that your thoughts are the number one cause of whatever effect you experience in your reality and that the condition and quality of your life is a projection and reflection of your thoughts. This is what is implied by the proverb, “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.” The truth is that the totality of your life experience is a projection and reflection of the condition and quality of your thinking. you will discover that The Law of Mind operates in a relatively simple manner.
Any thought pattern that you entertain in the conscious mind over a period of time will eventually settle as a belief in the subconscious mind. What are the origins of thought patterns? Any information that enters your mind through the five senses. You either consciously think about and analyze this information in the conscious mind and choose what becomes part of your thinking patterns (which very few people do), or you unconsciously absorb the information into the conscious mind without analyzing it (which most people do). In both cases the subconscious mind eventually receives this information as truth, forming beliefs. These beliefs (also known as faith) in the subconscious mind are what control and determine the outcome of our lives, by determining our values, attitude, behavior, choices and expectations.
It is important to understand that you are usually not consciously aware of these beliefs and expectations. Only by listening to what comes out of your mouth and examining your present reality can you get a glimpse of what is taking place in the subconscious mind. It is equally important to understand that you cannot directly alter your dis-empowering and harmful beliefs and expectations as they are subconscious, meaning below your conscious awareness. How do you then deal with this dilemma?
The only way you can address this is the same way these beliefs and expectations were created in the first place – by your thinking. Only by consciously and deliberately changing your thinking patterns can you begin to alter your beliefs and expectations, and subsequently the quality and condition of your life. Unfortunately this does not happen overnight. It requires commitment, patience and perseverance, which invariably includes trial and error. Below are some suggestions to consider in the quest and effort to bring about desired transformation in your life by changing your thought patterns.
- Become aware of your thoughts. It is estimated that you have on average 60 000 thoughts going through your mind every day. The only way to effectively determine if you are entertaining dis-empowering or harmful thoughts is to pay attention to your emotions. Empowering thoughts create empowering emotions. Dis-empowering thoughts create dis-empowering emotions like fear, sadness, rage, depression etc.
- Start to practice deliberate, conscious thinking about what you desire to be, do and have. As long as you focus your thoughts on that which you don’t want in your life, you will continue to create more of what you don’t want, according to the universal Law of Focus. Please note that this does not mean denying or ignoring the presence of any negative situation, but acknowledging it and then choosing to move your focus.
- Practice positive and empowering affirmations, self-talk and internal dialogue. Affirmations are short, positive phrases in which you verbally express that which you desire to be, do and have as if it is already part of you reality. By doing this you start to influence your thinking patterns positively. This in turn will start to influence what you say to yourself internally when you face a situation that may appear negative.
- Visualize what you desire to be, do and have. Begin to imagine what it would look and feel like to experience that which you desire. Through this you will continue to influence your thinking patterns. The mind does not differentiate between reality and imagination, but accepts that which is introduced to it through thinking.
- Read and/or listen to material that explain the working of the mind and thinking. Knowledge and understanding of the Law of the Mind will empower you to correctly utilize this incredible gift.
- Finally, it requires practice, practice and more practice! (Remember commitment)
There is no greater sense of empowerment than to finally start taking control of your own life, as opposed to remaining a victim of random, capricious events over which you have no control. Life is meant to be an exciting and fulfilling adventure and not a dreaded event. You have the final choice whether or not you are among the 3% of people willing to commit themselves to making the necessary changes in their lives as opposed to waiting for things to change by themselves. You can also choose to be part of the 0,001% of people who stick to their commitment and transform their lives as opposed to giving up on yourself. You are worth the effort!